What is Mesothelioma Lung Cancer?
Mesothelioma Lung Cancer is an extremely deadly type of tumor that affects the mesothelioma lining of the internal viscera of the body. Mesothelioma is a thin layer of tissues that make a covering of the body organs.
Types of mesothelioma:
Mesothelioma has different types:
- Pleural mesothelioma: it is the cancer of mesothelium around lungs cavity. It is the most common type of mesothelioma that occurs about 75%.
- Pericardial mesothelioma: it is the cancer of mesothelium around the heart. It has relatively small ratio that is about 1%
- Testicular mesothelioma: it is the cancer of mesothelium layer that surrounds the testes part of male genital system. It is the least known type of mesothelioma that occurs less than 1% of total cases.
- Peritoneal mesothelioma: it is the cancer of mesothelium layer of peritoneal cavity. It is found about 10-20% of the total.
Mesothelioma lung cancer:
It is the most common type of mesothelioma. In this type of tumor mesothelium lining of lungs is badly affected. One of the most common reasons is the exposure to ASBESTOS. It is commonly called as pleural mesothelioma.
It can either be malignant or benign. Malignant tumor is lethal and spreads gradually in whole body while benign although harmful but does not spread around.
Pleura mesothelioma VS lung cancer:
There is a small difference between pleura mesothelioma and lungs cancer. In pleura mesothelioma asbestos is lodged in pleura lining of the lungs while in lungs cancer asbestos is lodged in the lungs alveolar and lungs tissues.
There may be different and various causes of mesothelioma but the most common and lethal is the exposure to asbestos.
There are different types of asbestos that causes cancer like
Asbestos is actually a mixer of six minerals which make it very fine, durable and fire resistant chemical substance. It is the reason asbestos mining and treatment is thought as a curse in the medical field. 80% of the time lung cancer is thought to be the result of asbestos exposure.
Smoking and tobacco use is a major cause of lung cancer.
Symptoms of mesothelioma lung cancer:
Following are the symptoms of the disease:
- Shortage of the breath
- Chest pain or angina
- Weight loss
Treatment and cure:
There is probably no permanent treatment or cure for the mesothelioma lungs cancer. Medical therapy, chemotherapy and radiation therapy is used to treat lungs caner but these are not permanent cures.
Only possible way to survive is lungs transplant.
Survival rate of mesothelioma lungs cancer is very low. 55% of the Persons below 50 years of age with this disease live only one year. 5 years survival rate is only 9%. Statics show that smoking causes 90% of lung cancers.
It is an old saying that prevention is better than cure. So you must adopt preventive measures to avoid any kind of health disaster.
- Use masks while working in the area near asbestos mines.
- Avoid smoking.
- Take healthy diet and a lot of fruits and vegetables. Fruits and vegetables are rich in antioxidants that prevent cancer in any body part.
- Consult to your doctor on regular basis.